Where you can get Careers Advice and Guidance  

In 2010 responsibility for helping young people to plan their future by providing careers information advice and guidance, was transferred from organisations such as Careers Services or Connexions to schools and colleges.

  • There are many ways in which schools meet this responsibility such as:
    • Providing a Careers Education program in school.
    • Having someone in school or contracting in a careers adviser to undertake interviews.
    • Organising careers events and speakers.
    • Building links with employers, colleges and universities.

Your school or college may have a Careers Adviser working in the school to provide careers focused interviews or set up a contract with an independent person or organisation to provide these in behalf of the school.

The National Careers Service provides a telephone and internet based service that is available to adults and young people. The Local Authority has responsibility to support young people who are vulnerable to not making a successful transition into education employment or training and has a number of advisers in different roles who offer careers guidance support:

What Information, Advice Guidance or Support do you need?
I want to find information about educational options, the careers that I am interested in or places to study?
I am in school or college and want to speak to an adviser about my plans for the future.
I am in school or college and they have suggested that I might need some extra help for an adviser.
I have special educational needs and will need to think about the extra help that I will need in the future.
I am not in education, employment or training and would like some help.

Other services of the Local Authority may offer support to young people around their key transition points at 13+ 16+ and 18+, but not specific careers advice and guidance.
Designed by Freepik
Current rating: 5 thumbs up  
Posted 9th February 2018
By Liam